Council Tax officers from Huntingdonshire District Council are keen to ensure that residents are aware they can appeal their Council Tax band for free if they think it is incorrect. This follows calls received by the council from two residents who have recently been approached by companies that suggested their property had been banded incorrectly and offered to help them claim money back for a charge of £69.99.

Cllr Darren Tysoe, Executive Councillor for Customer Services, said: "If you wish to check your Council Tax band, or to appeal, you should first of all read the information on the district council’s website. If you then feel you are eligible, you can make an appeal for free to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). Neither the district council nor the VOA charge for this service and we want to ensure that residents are not taken in by these companies who charge large amounts of money."

Visit our Council Tax Bands and Charges page for further information. 

To check your Council Tax band go to the VOA website.