£150 one-off Energy Bill Rebate for band A to D households

The payments for those customers that paid by Direct Debit on 1 or 15 April, have been made and will be in bank accounts by 30 April.

If you paid by Direct Debit on 1 or 15 April, but you have not received a payment, please view this information.

Please note: This does not reduce the amount of Council Tax you have to pay.

Who's eligible?

  • Households in Council Tax bands A to D (with some exceptions) will receive the £150 Energy Bill Rebate payment. If you're not sure what band you are in you can check this on your printed Council Tax bill or online.

  • However, second homes or empty properties will not benefit.

  • You will receive one payment of £150 per household, not per resident.

What if my household isn't eligible?

  • The government will give councils a limited fund to provide support to vulnerable households suffering financial hardship, but who may not qualify for the £150 Council Tax payment. This applies to all bands from A to H.

  • It will be called the Energy Bill Rebate Local Scheme and we will publish the details on this website as soon as possible.

  • You will need to apply for this help after we publish the Local Scheme.

How will my household get the £150?

  • If you currently pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit - in most cases, the £150 will go directly into the bank account of the person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax. You do not need to do anything.

Remittance advice information regarding Energy Bill Rebate payments

I live in a property with several non-related residents. Who will receive the £150?

Houses in multiple occupation are not entitled to receive a payment under the main scheme. However, the person that pays the energy bill may be able to apply under our Local Scheme, once it is published.

What if I don’t want to pay by Direct Debit ?

We will need to contact you to obtain your bank details, and then arrange a bank transfer to your account. This will take time because of the extra anti-fraud checks we will need to do before making payment. We will contact you soon, but in the meantime, you do not need to do anything.

If I don’t want to pay by Direct Debit, but I am entitled to a payment, why can’t I send you my bank details now?

There are almost 80,000 properties within the district, so administering the Energy Bill Rebate scheme is a very big task. We will make payment to the Direct Debit payers first, because there is already a process in place to send money back to their bank account.

Once we have done that, we will invite non-Direct Debit payers to apply for the payment, and provide their bank details. We will need to do anti-fraud checks first, before we can use those details to make payments. If you change your mind, and want to sign up to Direct Debit (to get the payment more quickly) you can do that online.

When will I receive the payment?

For Direct Debit payers who set up a Direct Debit before 1 April - this will be done automatically after we receive confirmation of your first Direct Debit payment. This is a government requirement, to prevent fraud.  The payments, for those customers that paid by Direct Debit on 1 or 15 April, will be made to their bank account by the end of April.

For Direct Debit payers who set up a Direct Debit payment after 1 April - the payment will follow your first instalment in May.

For non-Direct Debit payers - we will need to carry out some anti-fraud checks when setting up new bank details, but we will do this as quickly as possible, after receiving valid bank details.

Do I have to use the money to pay my energy bill?

The payment is part of the government’s measures to help protect millions of households from rising everyday costs, but ultimately you can decide what to use the money for.

Can you just credit the money towards my Council Tax instalments?

The payment is provided to help towards your energy bill, it is not a payment to reduce your Council Tax liability, so we must ask for your bank details and credit the amount to your bank.

Do I have to repay the money if I move?

1 April 2022 is the "qualifying date" for payment of the Energy Bill Rebate. It is payable to the person that was living in the property on that date.

  • If you move to a different property after 1 April, you cannot claim an Energy Bill rebate at the new address, as the previous occupier will have already claimed it. If you have not received the payment before you move, we will pay it in to your bank account by the end of April.

  • You do not have to repay the money, but you cannot make another claim at the new address.

I live in a band G property, but I am still going to have difficulty finding the money to pay my energy bill. Can you help me too?

The main scheme only relates to properties in bands A to D. However, the government has also given us a limited amount of money to help those in larger properties (bands E to H), where the resident can prove that they are suffering financial hardship. We are looking at ways to distribute these limited funds fairly, and will publish our Energy Bill Rebate Local Scheme shortly. Please continue to check our website for details.

How can I save energy in my home?

We will help with the £150 energy bill payment, but there are lots of other things you can do for yourself to help with rising cost of living. To find out more, visit Citizen's Advice.

We actively promote energy efficiency to homeowners across the district to help:

  • lower carbon emissions

  • reduce fuel poverty

  • enable affordable warmth and

  • improve the housing stock.

To find out more, visit the Sustainability and Greener Living pages.

Reasons why you may not have received a payment at the end of the month:

  • The Direct Debit is not live - if you have cancelled your Direct Debit, but meet the remaining criteria, you should wait to receive a letter which will allow you to provide bank details so we can make the £150 payment. This is PHASE TWO of the scheme, and letters will be sent (in manageable volumes) during June.

  • The property is not in Band A - D (or Band E if you receive Disabled Band Relief). We have a limited amount of funding available for a Local Scheme, which may result in a small cash payment or, more likely, a Council Tax account credit, being made to certain residents within Bands E to H who are identified as on a low income or vulnerable, but the details are not finalised. This is PHASE THREE, and we will publish details once they are agreed.

  • The liable party is a company - payments will only be made where an individual resident is the liable party for Council Tax.

  • The property is an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) - payments will only be made where an individual resident is the liable party for Council Tax.

  • The customer is paying by Direct Debit, and they are in the appropriate band, but:

    • the bank account name doesn't match the liable party surname (for example: liable party is now married but the bank account name is still in the maiden name and we haven’t been able to confirm the change, or it could be a completely different name to the liable party altogether)

    • the bank account number being used is also present on another Council Tax account (for example: mum and dad paying for children, landlord paying for tenants, plus more)

    • we did not receive a Council Tax instalment in April (for example: first instalment is due in May, or they have a Direct Debit set up but we haven't claimed against it for some time - it could be you are now on full Council Tax Support or paying a lump sum).

The government requires that we do additional checks on these cases, and so they will be dealt with in PHASE TWO of the scheme. You will receive a letter during June.

For those customers who haven't paid an instalment in April, but will make a first instalment by Direct Debit in May, you will receive the payment at the end of May, provided you meet the criteria.

Remittance advice information regarding Energy Bill Rebate payments

Energy Bill Rebate payments are made on the assumption that the recipient is the liable Council Tax payer and that, on 1 April 2022, the property:

1. Is valued in Council Tax bands A to D (or Band E where a Disabled Band Reduction has been granted)

2. Is someone’s sole or main residence


3. Council Tax is payable, or an exemption class N, S, U or W has been applied (if applied, this will show on your Council Tax bill).

The Energy Bill Rebate is provided to support all of the residents of the household.

If the property does not meet the criteria, you are required to notify the council, and to repay the money