The permission or consent you need will depend on the type of work you wish to carry out.

It's your responsibility to obtain the approvals, permissions and consents required. If you go ahead without permission, you may end up being served with an enforcement notice and have to put things back to how they were before you began the work.

Click on the headings below to find out more.

Do I need planning permission?

If you are intending to carry out alterations to your home you may need planning permission or it may be allowed under permitted development.

Do I need building regulations approval?

Building regulations are different to planning permission and apply even to internal building work, so it is important to check whether this is needed.

Is the building listed?

If the building is listed, then you usually have to apply for listed building consent.

Is the property in a conservation area?

If the property is in a conservation area, extra planning controls may apply.

Will the work affect any protected trees?

Trees may have a Tree Preservation Order on them or may be protected due to being in a conservation area. It is important that you notify us of any planned works.

What else do I need to consider?

Further information on other permissions that may be required can be viewed on the planning portal.