Licence summary

You or a member of your staff must hold a personal licence if you sell or supply alcohol from any licensed premises, including pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels.

All premises where alcohol is sold (except under a temporary event notice) are required to have a designated premises supervisor, who must hold a personal licence.

To apply you must be 18 years of age or older and hold a licensing qualification such as the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Level 2.

List of accredited qualification providers

Personal licences do not have an expiry date.

How do I apply?

Complete and return the application form, the disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration form and pay the fee.

You will also need to provide:

  • the original or a certified copy of your licensing qualification

  • a basic criminal record disclosure that is less than one month old at the date you make your application. This can be obtained from Disclosure Scotland

  • two photographs which must be:

    • 45mm x 35mm (standard passport size) on photographic paper

    • on a light background, full face uncovered and without sunglasses or a head covering (unless you wear a head covering due to religious beliefs) and

    • one of which must be endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor, notary or person of standing in the community, such as a bank or building society official, police officer, civil servant, minister of religion or someone with a professional qualification.

Please read the Guidance Notes before you complete your application.

The council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on the application form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. Further information is available on our Data Matching page.

We are introducing the use of electronic scanners to check and verify identity documents from all customers applying to access council services. We will scan documents with a product called Trust ID. You can find further information about Trust ID on their website.


  • licence application: £37

  • duplicate licence if lost/stolen or for a change of address: £10.50

Does tacit consent apply?

No. This means you cannot supply or sell alcohol until we send you your personal licence.