skip to main content
Council Tax

Who pays Council Tax?

You pay Council Tax if you are living in a property as your main home, and you are at least 18 years old. If there is more than one person living in the property, the resident who comes first on the list below will be liable for Council Tax:

  • the owner (freeholder)
  • the leaseholder
  • a tenant
  • someone with a contractual licence
  • someone living in the property.

If two or more people have the same interest in the property, then they are all responsible for the Council Tax charge. For example, if you occupy a property with a joint tenant, you will both be liable for the Council Tax. Couples who live in the same property are also treated as jointly liable.

Change of address

Please read the following guidance then complete the online form if you are moving within, into or out of Huntingdonshire.

If you are moving within Huntingdonshire, you currently pay by Direct Debit and complete the change of address form, we will:

  • transfer your instruction to your new address

  • adjust your payments and

  • send you a new bill with the details unless you tell us differently.

If you are moving within Huntingdonshire but will no longer be liable for Council Tax, for example, moving back in with parents, then you will need to complete the moving out form.

If you are moving into Huntingdonshire, you can use this form to set up a Council Tax account for the property you have moved or are moving into. You can also use this form to set up a Direct Debit.

We will work out how much Council Tax is due based on the information you provide on the completed form. If an amount is owed, we will send a bill to your new address. If your account is in credit, we will send a refund for the amount back to the account where the payments were made if possible, unless you tell us differently.

If you are liable to pay Council Tax at your new address, you will need to tell the council that covers that property your moving in details.

Important - to complete this form you will need:

  • your Council Tax account number if you are moving within or out of Huntingdonshire

  • the exact date that you are moving and any other dates relating to your move, such as tenancy start date/purchase completion date

  • letting agent details if you are letting from a company

  • the full name of the new owner if you have sold the property

  • details of any renovations that may make the property uninhabitable if you have bought the property

  • details of any adaptations for a resident with a disability that would qualify for a disabled relief band

  • details of anyone living with you, including students/carers who may qualify for Discounts, Exemptions and Disregards

  • any necessary evidence if you are applying for any discounts, exemptions or disregards, for example, DWP letters, proof of further education etc.

Report a Change of Address

If you need help completing this form, please contact us on 01480 388030. Phone lines are open Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm and Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.

Please make a note of the reference number at the top of the form - you will need it if you want to save your form and return at a later date

Change of name

Complete this form if you have changed your name. This could be due to:

  • marriage

  • divorce

  • deed poll

  • misspelling

  • customer preference or

  • any other reason.

Report a Change of Name

This form is used by the Council Tax and Electoral Registration teams. We may need you to send verification, such as a copy of your marriage certificate, deed poll certificate etc, so that we can make this change on our systems. We will contact you if we need a copy.