skip to main content

There are various options available for people who want to live independently but need some level of support.

Lifeline Community Alarm Service

The Lifeline Community Alarm Service enables you to call for help if you feel unwell or have an accident when alone in your home. Anyone can apply for a Lifeline, regardless of their age or where they live. Often older or disabled people find this to be a reassuring service, but it is also used by victims of domestic violence. For further information visit Cambridgeshire County Council Technology Enabled Care.

Ramsey community wardens

Age Concern UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough runs a village warden service in Ramsey. A warden can make weekly or daily contact to provide discreet help for older people to keep and improve their independence.

They offer a two week free trial and after that there is a small charge.

View further information about community wardens

For more information about the Age UK community warden service in Ramsey call 07900 340265 or 01354 696650.

You can contact Age UK Cambridgeshire online.

Sheltered housing/retirement housing

Sheltered housing (often called retirement housing) is designed to meet the needs of older people. It  is available to rent or buy.

Some schemes will have a scheme manager and some do not. However, all schemes will have an emergency alarm service and often have communal facilities such as a lounge, laundry, guest flat and garden.

There is a minimum age for residents, usually 60, or slightly younger if they have a disability.

View further information about sheltered housing [PDF, 0.3MB]

Cambridgeshire Handyperson Service

Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough offers this service to people aged 65 and over or those with a disability. The service covers the whole of Cambridgeshire.

The service aims to prevent falls and accidents by offering a free personal assessment, home safety checks and arranging small jobs to be carried out.

For more information call the Handyperson team on 01480 700 205.

View further information about the Cambridgeshire Handyperson Service

Visiting Support Service for Older People

The Visiting Support Service for Older People website provides extra support for people over 60 when experiencing a difficult period, such as a bereavement, ill health, financial worries, housing concerns, or perhaps negotiating around complex statutory situations.

The service can support you to remain independent in your own home and access a variety of services. They can:

  • provide information and help you to fill out forms (including welfare benefits, blue badge and organise bill payments)
  • help with choices in relation to housing and care provision
  • advise on falls prevention equipment and aids
  • connect you with social groups, leisure activities and volunteering opportunities.

Contact them on 01354 776110 or email