skip to main content

Renew your taxi badge

To renew your dual or private hire driver's licence, you must submit a completed application before the expiry date of your existing licence. If your licence has expired, a renewal application will not be accepted and you must submit a new application found on the Become a Taxi Driver page.

For the renewal application to be considered complete, you must submit all documents as required, which are listed below.

  1. Completed HDC Driver Application form

  2. An enhanced DBS certificate which is registered on the Update Service

  3. An up-to-date colour passport-style photograph of yourself

  4. A DVLA Driver Licence share code

  5. Safeguarding Certificate - if not already completed

  6. Evidence of your Right to Work in the United Kingdom

  7. An HMRC access share code to prove your tax status

  8. Medical - if you've received a reminder letter.

Please see below for further information on specific points.

All renewal applications have moved to an online service. The link below will take you to the HDC Licensing Portal where you must register your details.

Register and renew your application

Once registered, you will be able to submit your renewal application and all supporting documents as well as  pay the application fee. The portal will also allow you to view any updates to your application.

As per the Policy, all licensed drivers must be registered on the DBS update service. We now no longer accept renewal applications without a DBS being registered on the DBS update service.

On the DBS Update Service:

If you have a suitable Enhanced DBS Certificate registered with the DBS update service you must provide the original certificate to allow us to check the online records.

Not on the Update Service:

If you are not signed up to the Update Service you will need to undertake the online enhanced check through Care Check - the link provides further information on how to apply.

Once you have obtained your DBS you must apply for the DBS to be registered on the DBS Update Service.

You can then submit your renewal application. Please note this must be done in plenty of time before your expiry date, as we will not accept a renewal application after the licence has expired.

You will be required to provide your valid DVLA photocard as part of the application.

You also are required to obtain a DVLA share code as part of the application. Please visit GOV.UK to get a code for us to check your licence. You must do this no more than 2 weeks before submitting your application.

You are required to undertake our approved safeguarding course before a licence is granted.

Details of the 2 approved courses are:


You must be able to prove you have the right to work in the UK. The Immigration Act 2016 requires us to check the status of all new applicants.

In line with the current changes, we no longer accept biometric residence permit cards. You will be required to obtain a Share Code and provide this to us to allow the right to work check to be made.

Following new guidance, you are now required to provide an HMRC share code regarding your tax status.

A completed Declaration form and Group 2 Medical examination will be required every 6 years starting from 2019 and annually after reaching the age of 65.

It must be completed by a registered general practitioner (GP). Where a medical is not completed by the applicant's own GP, full medical records must be provided to the GP undertaking the medical assessment.

This is to ensure you are fit to drive a taxi or private hire vehicle. You will have to pay the fee for the medical directly to the GP.

If you have changed address, you must inform us within 7 days by completing a Change of Address notification from [PDF, 0.1MB].

Please submit the form to:

Or by post to: Licensing Department, Pathfinder House, St Marys Street, Huntingdon, PE29 3TN

Once received, the Licensing team will contact you for payment. A £10 fee will be required for each paper licence update.


Please see the Fees page.