Energy advice

Energy schemes

Connect for Help – advice for the elderly

Connect for Help is a free service that is helping people reduce their energy bills, stay warm and access the local help available to them - all without costing them any money.

About Us - Connect for Help

PECT offers free one-to-one energy advice for households

PECT is a free service that is helping people keep warm and reduce their energy bills without costing them any money. See how you can save.

Free energy and money advice - Connect for Help 

Simple Energy Advice

Trusted energy advice on how houses and flats use energy, and how your home’s energy use could be improved.

Simple Energy Advice

Renewable Heat Incentive - advice for renewable technology and grants

Energy Saving Trust is an independent organisation – working to address the climate emergency.

A respected and trusted voice on energy efficiency and clean energy solutions, they continue to work towards a smart, decarbonised, decentralised energy system.

Find out how you can make smarter energy choices - What type of renewable energy is right for me? - Energy Saving Trust

Warm Homes (PECT)

If you live in Fenland, Huntingdonshire or East Cambs, the PECT (working in partnership with Cambridgeshire ACRE) can help you with its Cambridgeshire Home Energy Support Service thanks to funding from the Energy Industry Voluntary Redress Scheme.

Warm Homes - PECT

Energy Efficiency in Older Buildings

Older buildings were constructed before the introduction of modern standards. Improving the energy efficiency of your home, whether it's listed, in a conservation area or built before 1919, can be done sympathetically and without compromising its historic character.

Listed buildings are particularly sensitive and listed building consent may be required before you undertake certain alterations.

Historic England, the government's advisor on the historic environment provides specific guidance.

Saving Energy in your Home - Historic England

Energy Schemes

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) - ECO Flex

Eco Flex is aimed mainly at owner occupiers who meet at least one of the following four local criteria - and that may have higher incomes than many of those that are eligible under the ECO scheme:

  • live within a local authority priority area and live in a cold home

  • are in receipt of Council Tax Support and live in a cold home

  • employed and/or pensionable low-income household and living in a cold home

  • are diagnosed as suffering from a certain health condition exacerbated by living in a cold home and in receipt of low income.

The measures that are deliverable through ECO Flex are as follows:

  • cavity wall insulation

  • underfloor insulation (to help with dual measure eligibility)

  • party wall insulation (to help with dual measure eligibility)

  • loft insulation

  • solid wall insulation

  • first time central heating to replace, for example, old broken electric storage heaters

  • replacement boilers for old and inefficient boilers (12 years old or more).

If you think you would be eligible for ECO flex you can contact either of the two providers detailed below to discuss further. They will also be able to advise about what help may still be available under more restricted funding from February 2022 onwards.

If you are required to make a contribution towards the costs of your boiler you can also contact the other provider for a second quote.

ECO Flex providers:

Supporting ECO Flex information:

  • Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy - Energy Company Obligation 3: Local Authority Eligibility Guidance

LAD1B (Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery 1B)

Green Homes Grant is a government-backed scheme delivered by local authorities to improve the energy efficiency of eligible households for free. This helps residents by improving the warmth and comfort of their homes, whilst also reducing energy bills, carbon emissions and levels of fuel poverty.

The Green Homes Grant LAD 1B Scheme is open to private owner occupied and private rented properties across the district.
The energy efficient measures currently being delivered are listed below. A technical survey will determine a property's suitability for a measure. Please note that availability is limited and if the measure you’re interested in is not available an alternative will be offered to you.

  • Solar PV panels

  • Loft insulation

  • Cavity wall insulation

  • External wall insulation

How much funding is available per property?

The average maximum amount of funding spent on any one property does not exceed £10,000.

If you’re an owner occupier, you won’t have to pay a contribution towards the cost of the work. Landlords must contribute a minimum of 1/3 of the total costs of the installation, and the maximum amount of funding available per rental property is £5,000.

The actual amount of funding spent on a property depends on the measure(s) being received, as each measure varies in cost.

Am I eligible?

  • Your household’s gross annual income must be under £30,000 and
  • Your home must have an Energy Performance Rating (EPC) of either E, F, or G.
  • The scheme policy allows for 50% of eligible properties to be D rated subject to allocation.
  • If you have a D rated property and have already applied, then your details will be held on a waiting list. Should there be any cancellations, or a new phase of funding becomes available, then you will be contacted.

How do I apply?

You can apply via the Aran Group website.


LAD2 is a government-funded local-authority scheme that makes energy-saving improvements to the homes of people who struggle to pay their heating bills and keep their homes warm in the winter. These improvements are made free of charge and will help residents to keep their homes warm, while using less energy and spending less on their heating bills.

If you own your own home, or are a tenant, or a private landlord with tenants, you could qualify to apply for energy-saving improvements.

Please note: If your home is rented, both tenant and landlord will need to give their approval before any energy-saving improvements can be carried out.

You are likely to qualify for the scheme if you are on a low income, for example, if your annual household income is under £30,000, or under £20,000 after rent or mortgage costs, or your household is on means-tested benefits. The number of children in your household, and whether you have recently lost income will also be considered. If you think you might qualify for the scheme, even if you are not sure, please click on the link shown below to fill in a form and find out.

If your home has an Energy Performance Certificate (also known as an EPC) and the rating of the Certificate is either D, E, F or G, then it is likely to qualify for the scheme. If you think your home might qualify, please click on the link shown below to fill in a form and find out. If you do not have an Energy Performance Certificate or are not sure about it or what it means, please click on the link below to fill in a form and find out whether your home qualifies for the scheme.

How do I apply?

Apply for the Green Home Grant Scheme.

Sustainable Warmth (LAD3 and HUG1)

Sustainable Warmth is a competition being launched to bring together two fuel poverty schemes (Local Authority Delivery Phase 3 and Home Upgrade Grant Phase 1) into a single funding opportunity for local authorities (LAs). The two schemes that make up the Sustainable Warmth competition have a shared goal to contribute to the aims set out in the Sustainable Warmth: protecting vulnerable households in England strategy.

As outlined in this strategy, the government is committed to tackling fuel poverty and helping the most vulnerable by increasing the energy efficiency of homes, reducing the cost of bills, contributing to Net Zero targets, and supporting low-income households in the transition to low-carbon heating. This competition will provide funding to support these objectives.

Through funding made available under the Sustainable Warmth competition, the Government aims to save households money, reduce fuel poverty, cut carbon, and support the aims of the 10 Point Plan for a Green Industrial Revolution. Funding is available to upgrade homes both on and off-gas grid, and comprises:

  1. Local Authority Delivery (LAD) Phase 3: a third phase of LAD with £200 million available. LAD3 has a refined scope to support low-income households heated by mains gas.

  2. Home Upgrade Grant (HUG) Phase 1: £150 million for low-income households with homes off-gas grid through the Home Upgrade Grant (HUG) scheme.

Both schemes aim to support low-income households in England, living in energy inefficient homes by installing energy efficiency and low carbon heating upgrades with a delivery timeframe of January 2022 to March 2023.

If you are interested in applying for this scheme and you are happy to have your details referred to the company delivering retrofit improvements for residents within Huntingdonshire, then please email

Solar Together

All residents living in one of the participating council areas and who own their own house (or have permission from the landlord to install a solar PV system) can register for the Solar Together group-buying scheme. Small and medium-sized enterprises (non-domestic) and Commonhold Associations meeting this requirement can participate as well.

Why should you join Solar Together? Have a look at how we can take the hassle out of finding a solar installer, all while ensuring that you're getting a high-quality product and service.

Group-buying for solar - Solar Together

Action on Energy scheme

Through our Action on Energy scheme, run in partnership with neighbouring councils, we can provide grants to help low-income households install energy efficiency improvements and low carbon heating.

The grants are available for homeowners and private landlords that meet both of the following criteria:

  • Homeowners or tenants on certain means-tested benefits (see ‘eligible benefits’ below) or with a total household income of less than £30,000 before tax or other deductions

  • the property’s Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating is E, F or G

  • check your EPC rating – contact us if you don’t have one.

For homeowners the grant will cover 100% of the cost of improvements.

For landlords the grant will cover two-thirds of the cost of the improvements, with the landlord expected to cover the outstanding amount.

The maximum amount of grant available depends on the way the property is heated and its current EPC rating.

If you meet the eligibility criteria, an approved installer will visit your property to assess whether we could install any of the following improvements:

  • cavity wall insulation

  • external or internal wall insulation

  • loft insulation (or top-up)

  • party wall insulation (between you and your neighbour)

  • room-in-roof insulation

  • flat room insulation

  • draught proofing.

If funds allow, in addition to any insulation work, we will also consider installing measures including:

  • photovoltaic solar panels for electricity

  • renewable heating or hot-water systems such as heat pumps.

The work will be done by an installer working to a new quality standard for the retrofit industry.

Further details coming soon.